We Are a Maine Environmental Leader
We are very proud to announce that the Inns have been certified as Environmental Leaders in Hospitality by the Department of Environmental Protection for the State of Maine. Due to our "green" efforts, we are one of fewer than 100 businesses in the state that have received this certification, and we continue to improve and expand our program every day!
Going Green has always been a core value here at the inns. Living in Maine, where every day you are close to the beauty and bounty of nature, has really made us strive to do our part to preserve our natural resources and our planet. We are always making improvements, and welcome your suggestions and input. While you are here as our guests, we are happy to help you with recyclables and any other "green" practices you keep toward improving our environment!
Going Green at the Inns... every little bit counts!
Here are some of the things we currently do at the Inns to play our part:
- Daily trips to the recycling center with glass, boxes, paper, plastics and more. If you have items you would like us to include while you are in our company, please pass them to any employee or leave them in your rooms and we will add to our next trip!
- Composting many of our "scraps" from the kitchen and used in our many gardens!
- It seems we are always doing laundry, and for that reason, have upgraded to energy efficient, low water and soap usage washing machines. And of course environmentally friendly products! As a guest, you are invited to work with us in this conservation effort. By hanging your towels for another use helps minimize daily laundry. We are always happy to supply fresh towels and linens!
- Lighting is kept at a minimum when possible, as is heat when we do not have guests in our company, and you will notice the use of our fireplaces and wood stove to warm your rooms and our parlors. Wherever possible, we use low wattage, low voltage and CFC light bulbs. In addition, many of the windows in the Blackberry Inn were replaced with new double pane "E" glass to conserve heat.
- While we are not a recognized organic grower, we do not use any pesticides or chemicals in our flower, herb or vegetable gardens. Our berry patch is from root stock that is over 50 years old! Many of these ingredients are used in our cooking, as are local ingredients from our neighbors, the local farm markets and other growers dedicated to the same environmental visions as we!
Changes are being made daily, and please share your suggestions while you are here as our guests, helping us do our part to conserve our planets and the beautiful resources around us!